Home > Abortion, african americans > Over 1,000 hairstylists commit to talk about abortion at their shops

Over 1,000 hairstylists commit to talk about abortion at their shops

August 31st, 2011

by Thaddeus Baklinski

ATLANTA, Georgia, August 30, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A new approach to get information about the high abortion rate among black women in the U.S. to thousands of people was launched at a trade show for barbers and hair stylists in Atlanta over the weekend, reports Christina Martin of Bound4Life.

Read Christina’s account of the hairstylist tradeshow here.

Over a thousand hairdressers told organizers of The Samson Project that they would talk about abortion in their shops.

According to the organizers of the “Samson Project” – named for the long-haired Nazirite of the Old Testament – over 1,000 people committed to watching their DVD, and talking about abortion’s tragic impact on the black community in their shops.

At a booth set up among displays of blow dryers, hair buzzers and samples of creams and lotions at the Bronner Brothers Int. Hair show, the Samson Project offered something completely different. Under a banner reading “Life Talks,” pro-life workers handed out folders with information on the disproportionately high abortion rates for black women, a copy of MAAFA 21, the documentary on black genocide in 21st century America, and a window decal for their shops.

“If those passing agreed to watch the movie and talk about abortion in their shops, they would receive the folder and the decal to put in their window declaring to their customers they were willing to talk about this issue,” said Christina Martin, who is the director of Bound4Life Atlanta, and who worked the crowd at the trade show.

Black pro-life leaders Alveda King, Dean Nelson, and Arnold Culbreath from Protecting Black Life, all joined Christina during the three-day event to talk with people and pass out information.

Christina observed that for many women a trip to the beauty salon something that they do regularly, and countless men find “rest and comfort” as they sit back in their barber’s chair, listening to the conversations and laughing with friends.

“There’s a real sense of community and togetherness as conversations ring high over the noise of blow dryers and buzzers,” Christina remarked. “I’ve heard a variety of topics discussed, celebrity marriages, family issues, frustrations with government and whatever else captured their attention, but one thing that was never brought up was the issue of abortion. That was something they simply didn’t talk about. Thankfully, that is now about to change in shops across our nation.”

“I was taken aback by how many people wanted to hear about abortion’s impact on the black community. Many gasped when they saw the statistics and shuddered to hear the news that as a race we are decreasing at an increasing rate,” she said.

Keep reading.

Print Friendly
  1. Daughter of Eve
    August 31st, 2011 at 16:34 | #1

Cool.

2. Ken
    August 31st, 2011 at 16:40 | #2

Here’s a thought – maybe they should also talk about birth control. Three-quarters of African-American babies are born to unwed mothers and black women represent more than half of new HIV infections. Groups like this feign concern for the African-American population when all they really care about is their ideology. Shameful.

3. Betsy
    August 31st, 2011 at 16:42 | #3

Ken: “Groups like this feign concern for the African-American population when all they really care about is their ideology.” How do you know?

4. Heidi
    September 2nd, 2011 at 08:02 | #4

Although I am personally opposed to abortion (yet pro-choice because I don’t like the idea of government intrusion into women’s moral choices about their own bodies and lives), I would find it very odd and disconcerting if my hairdresser started talking about abortion while I was getting my hair done. I’m not sure I would return to that hairdresser. It would just be a little too weird.

5. September 3rd, 2011 at 06:56 | #5

@Heidi “pro-choice” means pro-abortion. There is no choice for the child, and abortion kills the child. It is not the woman’s body we are concerned about, rather it is the other human body living inside her. Her “choice” was made when she had sex.

6. Heidi
    September 6th, 2011 at 07:37 | #6

@Glenn E. Chatfield
    Glenn, you may believe that “pro-choice” means “pro-abortion,” but I will respectfully disagree. There is a difference between believing that something is immoral and believing that it should be illegal. If you can’t understand the distinction, then I can’t help you. But don’t try to tell me that I am pro-abortion, because that is a lie.

7. Heidi
    September 6th, 2011 at 07:39 | #7

Oh, and I should add that I am speaking from the perspective of someone who chose life when I became pregnant at the age of 15, when to have an abortion would have been much easier, at least in terms of avoiding the struggle of teenage parenthood.

8. September 6th, 2011 at 10:29 | #8

@Heidi “Pro-choice” means you agree that it is the woman’s right to choose abortion. Why should murder be legal? It is a child and yet you think it should be legal to kill a child?

9. Ken
    September 6th, 2011 at 12:34 | #9

@Betsy
    I think it was implied in my comment. If they really cared about Black women, they’d put their unrealistic ideology aside to ensure these women had comprehensive information about, and access too, birth control.