Home > sex differences, suicide > Mental Health of Women…. and Men

Mental Health of Women…. and Men

January 25th, 2011

Betsy blogged this story about a week ago, and no one has picked up on it and chatted about it.  The bulk of the story was about women in depression: a depressing enough story in itself. I read the whole thing, hoping the authors might have some insight as to why this is all happening just now.  No luck, I’m afraid. But, at the bottom, I found this tidbit:

Colin Walker… welcomed the report but said his organisation’s research showed men and women experienced mental health problems such as depression and anxiety in roughly equal numbers.

“But men are less likely to speak out or ask for help,” he said. “This tendency to suffer in silence is reflected by the fact that men account for 75% of all suicides.”

Not suicide attempts. Not suicidal fantasies or plans. Men account for 75% of all actual, completed suicides.

Where is the outrage?

1. Jamie
    January 25th, 2011 at 19:46 | #1

3 women attempt suicide for every one man. 4 men die of suicide for every one woman. This is because over 50% of men who commit suicide use a gun, whilst women prefer poison. Men have no way of backing out this way. L2statistics

2. Emma
    January 25th, 2011 at 19:56 | #2

So it seems to follow that restricting access to guns would lower the suicide rate among men, correct? Where’s the outrage about gun violence, whether self-inflicted or otherwise?

3. nerdygirl
    January 25th, 2011 at 21:16 | #3

The short snarky answer is, it’s not manly to talk about emotional or mental problems.

The long boring answer is pretty much the same thing with bigger words.

4. Betsy
    January 25th, 2011 at 21:22 | #4

You crack me up, nerdygirl.

5. pulchritudomusicae
    January 26th, 2011 at 09:39 | #5

Guns don’t kill people, people do. It might be a cliche, but it’s true. Guns save lives–it is problems in our society that cause people to become mentally unstable. Often, they choose to go on shooting rampages at schools or malls before shooting themselves. Healthy, stable, upright citizens need to carry guns to protect themselves and others.

Don’t confuse the issue. It’s not guns, but relationships and expectations placed on men.

I think for my own part, as a woman, my job is to make sure that the men in my life know that I don’t expect them to make the most money or have the coolest cars. They’re day to day life and service makes them valuable to society and their loved ones. I believe that simple change can make a difference.

6. Jamie
    January 26th, 2011 at 14:11 | #6

@pulchritudomusicae

Guns don’t kill people? Guns make it pretty easy to kill dozens of people at a time. Im fine with guns, handguns, shotguns, whatever. But assault rifles? 30 round clips? Uzis? Those exacerbate the damage an insane person could cause.